Hiring in and Immigrating to Foreign Countries
One would be hard-pressed to find a process more complex, and more vulnerable to geopolitical strife, than immigration. From work visas, to constantly changing laws, to the many types of documentation involved – the minutiae can easily overwhelm even the most focused among us.
Suraj Sharma, Client Services Director of Human Resources at Global Upside tries to help elucidate these issues and make a complicated issue more straightforward in this podcast.
Suraj is an experienced HR professional who specializes in employment contracts, benefits implementation, immigration, and mergers and acquisitions. He has spent several years assisting multinational companies in various cross functional capacities. Suraj currently supports Global Upside Clients with their HR needs in over 40 countries worldwide.
Topics discussed in this podcast include:
- How the process of immigration varies according to the country
- When to hire an immigration lawyer
- The length of the immigration process and what to be prepared for
- How geopolitical issues can come into play
- Considerations to take into account when hiring internationally
- How to be prepared for getting a Visa
- Plan for it to take much longer than anticipated and cost more over time
- Be prepared and have all of your documentation ready well in advance of submitting any applications
- Have your documentation reviewed by an expert so there’s nothing missing or incorrect
- Consider using an immigration lawyer or specialty firm
- Set alerts for all deadlines and deliverables
- Look for any advantages you can and make sure those are clearly highlighted. For example, education, job experience, family members, historical immigrant status of family